-

“Nursing ratios save lives:” new study recommends Ontario government mandate safe nurse staffing levels in hospitals

Full results of the study to be revealed at press conference at Queen’s Park on August 12

TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--A new academic study says implementing nurse-to-patient ratios in Ontario’s hospitals would save lives, improve overall patient care and help address a long-standing staffing crisis.

Nurse-patient ratios: saving lives and rebuilding nurses’ morale has been co-authored by Dr. Margaret Keith and Dr. Jim Brophy, who since 2017 have produced four studies on working conditions in Ontario’s health care system. The study was commissioned by the Ontario Council of Hospital Unions – the hospital division of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (OCHU-CUPE), which represents nearly 50,000 staff.

“The evidence shows that nurse-patient ratios save lives,” said Dr. Brophy, a researcher affiliated with the University of Windsor. “Assigning nurses a manageable workload ensures patients receive appropriate care, which in a high-stakes hospital environment can mean the difference between life and death.”

Dr. Brophy will present the findings at a press conference at Queen’s Park on Tuesday at 10 a.m. He will be joined by Michael Hurley, president of OCHU-CUPE, and Rachel Fleming, a registered practical nurse represented by the union.

The study is based on existing research on staffing levels in hospitals, and in-depth interview examination of nurse staffing standards in places like California, British Columbia, Nova Scotia and two provinces in Australia.

Who:

Dr. James Brophy, researcher affiliated with the University of Windsor

Michael Hurley, president of OCHU-CUPE

Rachel Fleming, RPN represented by OCHU-CUPE

 

What:

Media conference to release findings of new study about nurse-patient ratios

 

Where:

Queen’s Park media studio, 111 Wellesley St W, Toronto

 

When:

10 a.m. on Tuesday, August 12

:gv/cope491

Contacts

For more information, contact:
Zee Noorsumar
CUPE Communications
znoorsumar@cupe.ca
647-995-9859

OCHU-CUPE


Release Versions

Contacts

For more information, contact:
Zee Noorsumar
CUPE Communications
znoorsumar@cupe.ca
647-995-9859

More News From OCHU-CUPE

MEDIA ADVISORY: Paramedic Fired for Anti-War Facebook Comment Joins Supporters in Niagara for Update

NIAGARA REGION--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Thursday morning Katherine Grzejszczak, the paramedic unjustly fired in June by York Region because of a Facebook comment she posted in support of an anti-war rally, will be in the Niagara region to provide an update on her fight to get her job back and to assert her right to freedom of expression. Supporters from Niagara Region and from Grzejszczak’s union, the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), will share their insights and opinions of what her termina...

CUPE : A message to our passengers from Henly Larden, Air Canada flight attendant & VP of CUPE 4094

VANCOUVER, British Columbia--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The past weeks will go down in history for airline workers in Canada. 10,000 flight attendants stood up to Canada's federal government and one of the largest companies in the country to end unpaid work. Because of our collective courage in standing up to their intimidation, we made important strides. But we still have not crossed the finish line in our goal of ending unpaid work. This remains an emotional time for flight attendants. I want to speak...

Doug Ford's Return to Work order is a pathway to frustration for Ontario Health atHome workers

TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Last week, Premier Doug Ford announced he is mandating all Ontario Public Service Agency and CommissionWorkers return to the office 5 days per week, starting in January. This policy, which was created with no consultation with workers and serves no meaningful purpose, is not only short-sighted, but also potentially fiscally irresponsible. Since the pandemic, hybrid work has been the norm for the 1800 members serving Ontarians at Ontario Health atHome. This arrangement...
Back to Newsroom